In case you don’t know about the 4L60E transmission, it was seen in the majority of the General Motors rear-wheel drive vehicles which is about 20 years now.
The question is, are 4L60E transmissions all the same? And the answer is a simple no. you must also note that, not all 4L60E transmissions are compatible with each other.
Later I will show you some of the big differences between 4l60e vs 4l65e which will help you better to understand and identify each when it comes to 4l60e vs 4l65e identification.
My advice here is, you shouldn’t change your 4L60E with any random 4L60E. This can cause you a lot of headaches along the line. Also, read this article What Are 4l60e Transmission Fluid Capacity
Are all 4l60e transmissions interchangeable?
If you are wondering if all 4l60e transmissions are interchangeable, I will No.
Not all 4I60e transmissions are interchangeable and that is because the output for 2WD and 4WD are not the same and likewise the input shafts for a 298mm and 300mm 4I60e units.
So basically, not all 4L60E transmissions are compatible with one another.
How can you tell the difference between a 4l60e and a 4l65e?
Strength is one-word I can use to answer the question, how can you tell the difference between a 4l60e and a 4l65e?
This 4L65E transmission was produced to handle more torque than 4l60e or any other transmission in the market.
Although their case is identical, the 4L60E later became the 4L65E when General Motors upgraded some key internal parts of the model.
If you like to see our recommended car repair part and accessories, then be sure to check out this post where I list my top pick for each part and accessories for you.
You don't need waste all your time figuring out which brand to buy, the best brands handpicked for you.
So if you are searching to get an older 4L60E that is up to the 4L65E’s specifications, then you will find it.
They multiplied the transmission torque capacity to about 380-foot pounds. Please note that this change happened in 2001.
This 4L65E transmission was developed with the LS V8 engines in mind. Though they are not compatible directly with the 4L60E due to they make use of various torque converter and input shaft.
And the input shaft is about 300mm vs. 298mm on the 4L60E transmission.
This means if you are using a 4L65E, ensure you take the 300mm torque converter with it.
But if you don’t get this converter, then no that they are not interchangeable.
Related Articles: Symptoms of Bad Sun Shell (Best 4l60e rebuild kit with sun shell)
Can I replace my 4l60e with a 4l65e?
If you are wondering whether you can replace your 4l60e with a 4l65e in your vehicle, well the answer is yes and you will need a 4l60e to 4l65e swap kit to do this. Changing from the 4L60E to the 4l65e is not too difficult to do in a vehicle that was equipped with both transmissions.
But you should know that it won’t be an easy swap to do, and moreover, the 4L60E can actually handle a lot of power on its own.
Note that the 4L60E transmission is an automated shift, and also a four-speed overdrive transmission which is well known to be one of the best-automated transmissions ever produced.
Remember that before the 4L60E transmission was manufactured, there was another transmission known as the Turbo 700R4.
However, 4L60E has an impressive strength, and it can be used in both trucks and cars.
What transmission can replace a 4l60e?
it is possible to replace the 4L60E, as 4L65-E can directly replace a 300mm TC version of the 4L60-E. Note that all 4L65-E transmissions are produced with the bell housing, TC, and input shaft for all Gen-III/IV engines.
So if it’s a 4L65-E you really want, then the only thing that will stand against you is the cost.
What years does 4l60e transmission fit?
Note that the older 4L60-E transmission has a 3 piece case of casted aluminum alloy;
- The bell housing
- The main case
- The tail housing.
However, General Motors shortened the package to about 21.9 inches long which is equivalent to a manual transmission of about 15.4 inches.
This transmission input shaft has about 30 splines. It typically comes with a pinned flare and O-ring fittings on the passenger side which cools the circuit. Also, it has a square oil pan.
The six-bolt hex rear output is key differences of the Later 4L60-E (1996-2010) from the Early 4L60-E (1992-1997), and tail housing/adapter pattern is another 4L60 (1990-1992), from the 700R4 (1982-1989).
Their former versions come with a four-bolt square bolt pattern on the adapter or tail housing. Also, the removable bell housing is also another exceptional feature.
The two-wheel-drive model has tail housings and normally a long output shafts than the four-wheel-drive model, which has a different adapter put together and a shorter output shaft.
4l60e transmission identification
Here is the 4l60e transmission identification you need to know:
- Comes with four bolts connected to the tail shaft (or transfer case) to the transmission.
- Another thing is the vehicle speed sensor which locations were changed during the production.
- It comes with an info sticker on top of the bell housing on top of the transmission.
4l60e transmission tag decoder
Here is the 4l60e transmission tag decoder
- For the WMI: The digits 1 through 3 combined is the WMI, (World Manufacturer Identifier).
- For the Vehicle Descriptor: The digits 4 through 8 represent the vehicle’s descriptor section.
- The Check Digit. The digit 9 is a check digit.
- The Vehicle Identification Section (VIS): The digits 10 through 17 are for the Vehicle Identifier Section.
- The Plant Code.
- The Production Number.
4l60e vs 4l65e identification
For you to know the 4l60e vs 4l65e identification, you need to know the major differences between the 4L60E and 4L65E transmissions. The 4L65E transmission has an impressive strength. As said earlier, it was produced to handle more torque than 4l60e.
Below are what you should know about each of the transmissions.
- Their Dimensions: This 4L65E transmission comes with the same case dimensions and size as the 4L60E. Although they also bolt their cross member in the same exact spot.
- Their Wiring: The current vehicles in the market can be a little difficult to deal with than older models. Please always remember that you need to ensure that any component you intend to install should be compatible with the one you want to replace. Remember that the LS series engines have both their transmissions and engines controlled by their ECM. So in case, you swap a component for another year or size, note that you must reprogram the ECM.
- Their Gearing: Both of the transmissions are geared exactly the same way. Both of them are overdrive transmission with a final drive of about .70 to 1
- Our Readers Also loved these post:
- Are Nissan Rogues Good Cars & Are Nissan Rogues Expensive to Repair?
- Does Nissan Rogue Have Transmission Problems (2015, 2016 & 2017)
- Is CVT Better Than Automatic Transmission (See Pros & Cons)
- Headliner Fabric Glue: 5 Best 3m 38808 headliner and fabric adhesive
- How to Change Transmission Fluid Chevy Silverado 1500