Have you ever wondered how you can remove a power steering pump pulley without having to use a puller?
We understand that you may not always have your puller with you especially when you need it the most.
This is why we have written this article so that you would know how to perform some basic auto replacement works by yourself without a puller.
How To Remove Power Steering Pump Pulley Without Puller
This post-show exactly How To Remove Power Steering Pump Pulley Without Puller step by step. So make sure to read to the end.
We will look at the following sub topics within this post:
- how to remove a pulley without a puller Generally,
- how to remove power steering pulley bolt
- pittsburgh pulley remover and installer set instructions
- how to remove power steering pulley without puller
- how to remove harmonic balancer without puller
So with do in mind let’s take a look at the first sub-title on the on the list which is how to remove a pulley without a puller and general note.
If you are ready lets begin.
How To Remove A Pulley Without A Puller
Removing a pulley without a puller would actually be determined by the kind of pulley you are dealing with. However, here is how you can basically remove a pulley without a puller:
1. You start by extracting the screws holding the pulley
If you like to see our recommended car repair part and accessories, then be sure to check out this post where I list my top pick for each part and accessories for you.
You don't need waste all your time figuring out which brand to buy, the best brands handpicked for you.
2. The pulley would have about 2 to 3 extra holes. Insert the removed screws into these holes.
3. Tighten them properly. You will see the screws bottom out against the pulley backing and this will do the work of pushing the pulley loose.
How To Remove Power Steering Pulley Bolt
The easiest and most common method to remove power steering pulley bolt is by hitting it with an impact tool.
However, another method is by using a wrench to unbolt it. You simply have to turn it counterclockwise to remove and then clockwise to tighten it back.
How To Remove Power Steering Pulley Without Puller
1. The first thing to do is to make sure you remove the major drive pulley before installing again. It is necessary that the reinstalled pulley is well fitted into the input shaft so as to enhance the efficiency of the inner pump. It is the connection of the inner shaft and pump that would enable the car engine to transfer the power from a serpentine belt to the power steering pump pulley.
2. Thereafter, mount your removal tool which may take up to 12 inches in front of the pump. You have to attach the removal tool in front of the pump and then align the tool in the perfect fitting.
3. To operate your removal tool, you will hear a pop signifying that the tool has started to work. Continue this process until you are convinced that the pulley is free enough to pump input shaft. It is necessary for you to warm the pulley to about 120 – 130 degrees F. Thereafter, you can proceed to reinstall the pulley.
4. While installing the pulley, make sure the process takes place in a clean, rust-free shaft. This is because a dirty or rusty pulley and shaft can make the installation process harder and time consuming. Caution: You should not apply any form of liquid, water, grease etc. as a form of lubricant to the pulley or shaft. Therefore, you have to wipe off any grease or oil that may be present before you start any the installation. You are probably wondering why we emphasize on this caution. Isn’t it? The reason for this is quite simple: grease or any other form of lubricant can cause the pulley to slip and this will definitely result in failure of your installation efforts.
5. Having warmed the pulley at exactly 120 – 130 degrees, it is time to put the pulley onto the shaft. To ensure a perfect fitting, you would have to spin the pulley until it gently mounts onto the shaft in a square manner. This will consequently make the alignment to form accurately before you begin the installation
6. In this step, you have to turn on the pulley and take out the wobble. This would be an indication that the pulley has aligned properly in the square manner. Then, attach the installation tool in front of the shaft pump. After this is done, the installation process would have been successful.
7. After completing the installation, you now have to make sure the collar against the pulley is tightly fixed. To do this, you would use a ratchet and wrench to tighten it. Endeavor not to leave any area loose.
8. When you are sure that the tool is perfectly tightened and the steering pulley is properly installed, you would have to flush it altogether with the pump input shaft. After doing this, you can get a well deserved rest for doing a nice job.
How To Remove Harmonic Balancer Without Puller
1. The first thing to do is to gain access to the harmonic balancer by removing the serpentine belt. You would have to take off the cover of the engine, shrouds, or plastic guards that cover the working area. Then locate the serpentine belt and apply pressure on it to keep it in position from coming out of the spring tension.
2. Next, you have to find the center bolt that holds the harmonic balancer in position. It would be located in front of the crankshaft. You have to loosen this bolt.
3. Thereafter, proceed to remove the center bolt by using a socket. You would rotate the socket so as to loosen the bolt. Another way to do this could be by simply positioning the socket firmly and then start the engine to assist in rotating and loosening the bolt. This is most recommended, if you’re having a tough time loosening a very tightly fitted bolt.
4. Thereafter, all that is left is for you to remove the pulley. You would have to do this in order to have access to the harmonic balancer. You can use a tool such as a pickle fork to remove the pulley and then rotate it a bit with a screwdriver. Do it again and again until the pulley is finally out.
5. Finally, you can now remove your harmonic balancer by inserting durable straps around where your harmonic balancer is positioned. Make sure the strap is firmly positioned and then pull it. You can now remove the bad harmonic balancer and replace it with a new one.
Conclusion on how to remove power steering pump pulley without puller
We hope this article helped you to learn how to remove a power steering pump pulley without a puller as well as how to remove harmonic balancer without puller and many other auto works without a puller.
I really hope this article was helpful to you? Please don’t forget to share this and bookmark it for feature reference.