If you are used to vehicles that have the standard exhaust system, then driving one with a straight pipe exhaust system is a totally different experience.
The standard exhaust is built in such a way that it reduces the sound coming from the engine of a car.
So, if you step on the car’s gas pedal, it will not make lots of noise. A standard exhaust system does not make much noise. However, a vehicle that has a straight pipe exhaust system makes as much noise as possible. See this Article too on the cost and benefits of straight pipe exhaust.
With the straight pipe exhaust system, vehicles are allowed to make as much noise as they can. Installing this type of exhaust system involves the use of straight pipes to start the vehicle’s exhaust headers.
Once it has done that, it then runs straight to the rear of the car. It does not have any muffler or converter.
Read this Also: Is CVT Better Than Automatic Transmission (See Pros & Cons)
Does Straight Pipe Hurt Your Engine (How to Straight Pipe a Car)
So, the engine produces raw and pure sound since there is no boundary separating it from the back of the vehicle.
Car that have a straight pipe exhaust system installed flex all their muscles to make as much noise as they can.
Does straight pipe hurt your engine?
The straight pipe exhaust system does not hurt the engine in any way. Since the system has no muffler, it produces pure and raw sounds from the engine.
If you install the straight pipe exhaust system, it helps to improve the sound of your engine.
If you like to see our recommended car repair part and accessories, then be sure to check out this post where I list my top pick for each part and accessories for you.
You don't need waste all your time figuring out which brand to buy, the best brands handpicked for you.
However, one setback of this is that, when you are driving your vehicle in the street, it can disturb your neighbors and attract unnecessary attention.
Most cars that use straight pipe exhaust systems are race cars. This is because the straight pipe usually improves the performance of the car.
It reduces the engine pressure, and this increases the overall functioning of the engine. After installing the straight pipe, you will notice that your torque and horsepower will increase.
Unlike the normal exhaust system, the straight pipe improves the performance of your vehicle’s engine.
Another thing that the straight pipe does to your engine is that it dispels the gas it creates to the atmosphere.
As mentioned earlier in this post, vehicles with straight pipe exhaust systems are usually very loud.
Before you install it, you may have to check the regulations concerning noise in your place. Some cities have outlawed vehicles whose exhaust systems are noisy due to the disturbance it creates.
So, the straight pipe exhaust system does not hurt the engine. You need to make sure it is installed properly, if you want an improvement in the performance of your engine.
How to straight pipe a car
The installation of a straight pipe is something that should be done by professionals. This is because it involves welding.
Installing a straight pipe is not so difficult, and does not take much time. However, only people with mechanical knowledge should do it.
- Step one: The first thing you need to do is to identify a muffler size that can work with your car model. You must get the right type of muffler so that the prevention of system backflow can be possible. You may also purchase a kit that has a pre-silencer.
- Step two: The next thing you need to do is to use a car lift. You will need the right tool and adequate space to do this. After lifting the vehicle, inspect the present exhaust system. Find where the mounts and hangars are and try to sketch the new system. Calculate all the necessary bends that are needed to create the mechanical.
- Step three: Once you have completed step two, remove the current exhaust from the car. You can also use a lubricant on the parts before you proceed to unscrew the clamp. The next thing to do now is to disconnect the catalytic converter without removing it completely. Make sure you do this to aid the performance of your vehicle. Write down every faulty hanger or clamp so you may replace them if necessary.
- Step four: Now, cut out the new exhaust mandrel bend sections. After cutting every piece, always test every section by going beneath the vehicle.
- Step five: The last step is to join the parts together. Check the fits and alignments of every section thoroughly. After confirming the fit, weld all the pieces together permanently. Now, if the vehicle system is not a stainless steel or chrome, try to treat the metal against corrosion. You can use heat resistant paint. If you don’t treat it, it may eventually corrode. Lastly, weld the muffler and pipe sections together. Weld the system after you have placed it in the car.
How to straight pipe a car without welding
It is impossible to straight pipe a vehicle without welding all the components together. One of the major things to do when installing the straight pipe in a vehicle is to weld all the parts and sections together.
This is reason why the installation of a straight pipe should be left for a that knows how to weld.
How long does it take to straight pipe a car?
If you are experienced in installing a straight pipe exhaust system, then it is something you can do. On average, installing a straight pipe requires just a few hours.
If you want to straight pipe your car, it is a job that should be done by professionals. With someone who is knowledgeable, you are guaranteed of getting your car back in few hours.
The cost of installing the straight pipe in your car depends on the type of vehicle you are using.
Does straight pipe waste more gas?
The answer to this question is No. Straight pipe does not waste any gas at all. The reverse is always the case.
When you install the straight pipe exhaust system, the fuel economy of your car will improve greatly.
The straight pipe is designed in such a way that it removes exhaust gas from the vehicle. In addition, the straight pipe improves performance of the engine of the vehicle.
If you install the straight pipe, you will notice an improvement in the fuel economy of your car.
Straight pipe exhaust sound
The straight pipe exhaust sound makes lots of noise. If you are in a racing field, then the noise will be an advantage to you.
Installing straight pipe exhaust systems increases the sound of your engine. It makes it sound pure and raw. Watch this video to hear some straight pipe exhaust sound
Installing a straight pipe exhaust system does not hurt your engine in any way. It rather improves the performance and sound of your engine.
If you want to install the straight pipe exhaust system, then you need to seek the services of a professional.
- How much does it cost to straight pipe a car
- Causes of White Smoke From Exhaust on Startup, Accelerating & Idle